Hi everyone! I realise if you're reading this you will most likely be my family and friends (and therefore obliged to) but just in case......I am a volunteer for VSO and this is a blog about my experiences of life in Nigeria, first I was briefly in Calabar and now I'm in Abuja the capital city. You may also find some random references to uses I find for the tools on my Swiss army knife as well as my reflections on my everyday life as a VSO volunteer, just go with it.




Sunday 3 July 2011

Where's Kasia?

Don't worry folks I haven't taken to wearing stripey jumpers and hiding myself in crowds of similarly dressed people waiting for someone to find me. This post is in reference to the fact that right now I should be sat on a plane on the runway at Heathrow feeling nervous/excited and wondering how long it will be until they roll the drinks trolley out after take off ( it's always too long). I am however still in sunny old Somerset and will be for another 6 days.

In case anyone is wondering this is not down to my own ineptness but due to visa delays with volunteers coming from other countries. So they decided to delay us all by a week so that we weren't arriving at different times as the training is supposed start for everyone on the same day. Makes sense really, but it's difficult when you've psyched yourself up for something and then suddenly it doesn't happen. On the plus side I had as usual left myself with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much to do in the last few days, so I can at least chill out a bit.

So what I have been doing with my extra time so far? Well in no particular order.......

a) realising I will have to do some serious culling in my luggage
b) lounging on a deckchair with a cocktail and catching up with the Brandwoods
c) having very strange (I'm hoping larium influenced) dreams involving giant penguins
d) marching in the garden with the family led by Sergeant Major Bonnie Mills

I'm sure I really should be researching all those tools on my Swiss army knife.

3 comments:

  1. Larium dreams - always fun but they do get better! Good luck, enjoy your last few days and you'll be fab! Looking forward to hearing all about it! Safe travels xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kasia, I googled Calabar and it looks interesting. I think a visit to the Drill Monkey Rehab Centre is a must!

    I hope you get on ok with the Lariam, but be careful I know a few people who suffered serious side effects. Di had wild dreams too, she took it on our honeymoon and became obsessed with taking off her wedding ring (which was quite tight)!


    What is the weight limit for the flight? How on earth did you decide what to take?

    Looking forward to hearing more and seeing some pictures.

    Ruud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ruud,

    Deciding what to take and what not to take has been very difficult! Luckily I'm flying with BA on a 'missionary' ticket so technically allowed 3 hold bags at 23kgs each. I'm just taking two however as I have to be realistic at how much luggage I can actually handle, but the hand luggage allowance is fairly generous too.

    There will no doubt be a post on here about all the pointless things I brought with me and the things I wish I'd packed. I'll definitely let you know what I find most useful.

    Have you got your placements sorted yet? I hope so, I know the pictures you take wherever you end up will be amazing so very much looking forward to seeing your blog/photos at some point in the future!

    Kasia

    ReplyDelete