Hi everyone! I realise if you're reading this you will most likely be my family and friends (and therefore obliged to) but just in case......I am a volunteer for VSO and this is a blog about my experiences of life in Nigeria, first I was briefly in Calabar and now I'm in Abuja the capital city. You may also find some random references to uses I find for the tools on my Swiss army knife as well as my reflections on my everyday life as a VSO volunteer, just go with it.




Monday 12 December 2011

The alarming incident of the cockroach in the night time

Cockroaches have made an appearance my blog before, in a slightly bizarre was I losing my mind in having a conversation with one fashion. This time I was not having a conversation with a cockroach, I was being rudely awoken by one on a night where I was not getting much sleep anyway. Normally my fan is on at night (power allowing) and as such I probably sleep on blissfully unaware of the beasties that prowl around in the dark but because it’s cold at night due to harmattan at the moment my fan is off so you can hear every little noise.
Anyway there I was finally drifting off to sleep somewhere around 4am when a nasty scuttling noise brought me back round like a flash, then it got a bit closer to my bed, then it sounded like it was actually in my bed!? No surely not, but I was sat up in a panic with my reading light in hand when I realised that a roach was climbing up my mosquito net, I made a funny sort of a ‘meeehhh’ noise and tried to bat it off from the inside with said light. Hardy little buggers though aren’t they and he took a few bashes before he fell between the bed and the wall and quick as a flash (or a Kash) I was out of the netting the other side and reaching for the can of raid. My lungs may not have thanked me but I was ever so relieved when he came to a sort of half dead stop, just close enough to the edge of the bed for me scoop it up with a hastily devised cockroach scooping device (Notebook and old plastic bowl for catching leaks in rainy season). Not bad for four in the morning eh?
I don’t think I have ever been so pleased for my mosquito net, apart from maybe that first night in Calabar. After disposing of the interloper I obsessively checked to make sure the net was tucked in very securely just in case there were any more lurking around waiting for me to turn the light off before striking and got myself back into bed. Weirdly I managed to sleep. Maybe it was the high concentration of Raid in the room?

2 comments:

  1. Love it Kasia - i have had the same experience - after 10 months i took the net in a little less tightly but still pretty tight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELCOME TO ILLUMINATI HOLY TEMPLE TO BE FAMOUS
    FROM THE GRAND MASTER WORLD WIDE. call +2348169698670 or WhatsApp +2347016771691 or e-mail, illuminatirichmaster@gmail.com
    Are you a business man/woman or an ARTISTS,POLITICIANS,PASTOR,ENGINEER,DOCTOR, STUDENTS, GRADUATED and you want to become Rich Powerful and famous, in life or,Are you frustrated in life. What type of wealth do you want? Today is your luckiest day, 'I want to join great Illuminati occult in the world' we are here for those of you that want to join Illuminati Brotherhood in ANY COUNTRY YOU ARE and across Africa. Are you tired of poverty and now you want fame, power and riches Making wealth is guaranteed for the people of the world. Our magical powers are beyond your imagination.call +447031924001 we could do magic on your behalf regarding , your financial situation, future events, or whatever is important to you. we have the power and we use the power. Life is a game. Money is how we keep scores. Money speaks sense in a language all nations understand. If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some; for he that goes borrowing goes sorrowing. We are a group of strong brothers who came from different walks of life for the purpose of alleviating the sufferings of our people we are Illuminati, and we could change the course of destiny Illuminati Brotherhood are most probably the most well known secret society in the world. Illuminati Brotherhood is not for Everyone, Is it someone or something you desire to have? Do you want wealth (Want to grow your bank account?, Need funds to enjoy the good life? Tired of working hard and getting nowhere?) or happiness? the most powerful society welcomes you to Illuminati..But we might be Right for you! We are Seeking our Dark Brothers and Sisters who have heard the call to come Home to the Illuminati Family! For those fortunate applicants of interest whom will be chosen to join the succeeding family of Illuminati, you will learn the untold secrets that few have ever known existed! The Illuminati rituals for securing Wealth, Health, Love, Lust and Power that none outside of this family have ever been taught and never will. . . we are here to protect you if you so desire! .. contact Illuminati initiation home Send us your most important desire and we shall work our powers in your favor. Be sure to tell Illuminati what you want. Email us now illuminatirichmaster@gmail.com or whatsapp the agent now +2347016771691 for immediately initiation.New members registration is now open online now our source of wealth and power is reviled to registered member only..visit our website......https://mymakeriches.blogspot.com.ng/

    ReplyDelete