Hi everyone! I realise if you're reading this you will most likely be my family and friends (and therefore obliged to) but just in case......I am a volunteer for VSO and this is a blog about my experiences of life in Nigeria, first I was briefly in Calabar and now I'm in Abuja the capital city. You may also find some random references to uses I find for the tools on my Swiss army knife as well as my reflections on my everyday life as a VSO volunteer, just go with it.




Friday 5 August 2011

And so it begins

The football season that is. Whilst back in Blighty I didn’t get to see my boys play all that often because being a Torquay fan and living in Newcastle didn’t aid me with getting to many matches. However I used to get regular telephone updates from my Dad at all the home matches, he’s been doing a gate at Plainmoor since he was about 15 (correct me if I’m wrong Dad!) and if I was watching a premiership match with friends in a bar in the Toon I’d always have one eye on Sky Sports watching out for the League Two scores coming in.
So whilst I didn’t get to many matches I will very much miss my interactions as the new season starts, I’ve been assured that I’ll get text updates with the scores, thanks Dad and I can of course log on to BBC and the Torquay Website for a full match report. I just hope when I come home in January for a visit that I can make it to a match (I bet it snows and they’re all postponed!), in the meantime I shall have to rely on my mobile to get the scores, as League 2 is about as real as Harry Potter here. First up its Torquay v’s Burton, come on you Yellows!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well, well, then, actually your dad started on the gates at Plainmoor in the 1966/7 season, just after England won the World Cup for the first and only time.

    So this season is his 45th! Five years to go for a special sponsored match, silver salver, presentation on the pitch, stand named in his honour etc etc.

    ReplyDelete