Hi everyone! I realise if you're reading this you will most likely be my family and friends (and therefore obliged to) but just in case......I am a volunteer for VSO and this is a blog about my experiences of life in Nigeria, first I was briefly in Calabar and now I'm in Abuja the capital city. You may also find some random references to uses I find for the tools on my Swiss army knife as well as my reflections on my everyday life as a VSO volunteer, just go with it.




Tuesday 23 August 2011

Public Holidays…

In the UK we’re always complaining there aren’t enough public holidays and there’s usually some sort of campaign on facebook to get a new one each year, ‘St Georges Day’ or ‘We can’t be arsed to go to work today day’, you get the picture. The naysayers will tell you it’ll never happen, it’s too difficult to put in place, it’ll cost the economy too much etc, etc. I should mention we did get an extra one for the royal wedding this year at least, thanks Kate and Wills for the day off by the way!

In Nigeria it seems to be much easier to overcome such problems, the government has kindly announced that next Tuesday and Wednesday will be a public holiday. I get the impression this is a not an altogether random occurrence either as no one at work other than me seemed to be amazed by this. When I asked what it was in aid of the response was that it’s like x-mas day, okay….. On the news however it seems to be two days off in honour of the president. Whatever it’s for I’m not complaining I would just like the British government to take note, I suspect however as I post this that a large flock of pigs have just flown past the houses of parliament.

No comments:

Post a Comment