Hi everyone! I realise if you're reading this you will most likely be my family and friends (and therefore obliged to) but just in case......I am a volunteer for VSO and this is a blog about my experiences of life in Nigeria, first I was briefly in Calabar and now I'm in Abuja the capital city. You may also find some random references to uses I find for the tools on my Swiss army knife as well as my reflections on my everyday life as a VSO volunteer, just go with it.




Saturday 29 October 2011

A walk around the neighbourhood

My housemate Sue and I took a walk around our neighbourhood this morning. We were actually heading to one of the larger shops to pick up some groceries and decided we would head out early before it got too hot but apparently Abuja doesn’t do early and nothing opens here until 11 on a Saturday. This was a bit of a shame for us as it was only 9.20am. Fail.
So we decided to continue walking rather than head back to the flat and see what we could find, so I present to you in photo form pictures from our walk including some rather surprising finds and for me a rather terrifying one.  This should please those of you that have been asking for more photos and gives me an excuse not to ramble on :D

This is our building and our flat is the one at the top on the far side

Q Palace is our local bar

There is a lot of wealth here as the houses demonstrate

Lizards are a constant hazard when out walking!

As are chickens

Lots of new building going on Abuja

A random stream underneath a huge bridge then I thought I'd left Abuja and was back in Calabar

but thankfully it was just a restaurant sign with some typical Nigerian foods on offer then just up the hill......

I was home in blighty!

An unusually quiet intersection, well if nothing opens until 11 what's the point of going out?

This bad boy was bigger than my palm, note the 'normal' sized 8 legged freak next to him. I am very proud this photo is not blurred from excessive hand shaking and indeed that I did not simply run away on sighting it!

This is Peggy's Pointe the complex the phone box was in front of, we suspect it could be ex-pat housing....

Later we got a taxi to another shop as we had walked quite far, this is my office building inside the grounds of the mosque taken through the taxi window

The mosque and the gate I go through every day for work, with my head scarf on of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment