Hi everyone! I realise if you're reading this you will most likely be my family and friends (and therefore obliged to) but just in case......I am a volunteer for VSO and this is a blog about my experiences of life in Nigeria, first I was briefly in Calabar and now I'm in Abuja the capital city. You may also find some random references to uses I find for the tools on my Swiss army knife as well as my reflections on my everyday life as a VSO volunteer, just go with it.




Thursday 20 October 2011

Warty Towels

It seems to be fairly standard that every office in Nigeria has a TV in it, I can’t really get my head round this as it does nothing to aid the amount of work that gets done and for me is a really annoying distraction. Thankfully in my office it’s in the room next door so I can only hear it.
From what I can hear and what I’ve seen on our little TV at home Nigerian TV is really random in that there is no scheduling like we have at home, i.e. the same thing that was on one time slot won’t appear the next day. It also appears that the person in charge of putting the programs on has a very limited attention span as quite often a program will just stop halfway through and go into something completely different, it’s like I’ve had enough of that now I’m going to put this on, much like most men I know in charge of the remote in fact!
As for the programs well it’s an eclectic mix. They show Nigerian music videos in between programs, there’s a lot of news, various religious offerings, very comedy Nigerian soaps that seem to be mostly about dramatic music and shouting with angry staring from what I can make out, sports reviews, Nollywood films, documentaries about traditional pottery making and such like and then out of the blue today I was sat at my desk typing away when I heard what sounded like the opening credits of Fawlty Towers. Surely not? I had to go and check this out. But yes it was there on the office telly was Basil Fawlty in all his 70’s glory and best of all it was the Episode with the drunk chef and the car bashing . So did I go back to my work or did I stop to watch? Let’s just say I decided to follow the example of my colleagues for half an hour and I’m not afraid to admit it was easily the best bit of my day.

p.s. Just in case anyone is wondering I don’t have Warty Towels. For those of you that aren’t au fait with Fawlty Towers, the sign outside the Hotel at the start of each episode used to change each time and this was the sign for the episode I saw today :D

No comments:

Post a Comment